"Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” - Coco Chanel

Monday 18 October 2010

"What was I thinking...?"


There it was right in front of me. That red and blue tartan jacket that I just had to have. Granted, it was a few years ago now and thankfully, my tastes have evolved somewhat since the purchase of that rather garish number.

But we've all had those moments. You see an old picture of yourself, or you find the item itself hidden in the back of your wardrobe. All you can think is "What was I thinking?." Yeah. You know precisely what I mean.

At the time of the tartan jacket incident, I genuinely believed that my life would be enhanced by owning and subsequently wearing, said jacket. Was it fashionable at the time? Of course it was, I wasn't the only person sporting it, that's for sure. (No, it didn’t escape me the fact that I was a Scot, living in Scotland and wearing a tartan jacket, either)

Anyway, when I came across this jacket the other day - it got me thinking about these little trends that appear all the time. Where do they come from? Who made the decision to sell countless numbers of tartan jackets to young women all over the UK?

Well, fashion trends are usually predicted a few years in advance.. Right? So they had been plotting this for some time.

Sneaky.

I actually remember teaming that jacket with a striped shirt that held a massive bow on the front of it. Luckily the shirt is no where to be found..

But I do always laugh to myself a little when I see people merging trends together for an "original" look. I do it all the time. But am I actually just creating an unattractive mesh of themes and items? Will we look back on today’s fashion and shake our heads in miserable disdain?

Or should we just chalk it down to being truly original?

I’m not sure.. All I know is that I have just spotted and incredible satin jumpsuit that I must have…

Oh and, for my sins… here is the jacket in question.

9 comments:

  1. We all have a deep dark secret in our wardrobe! Very witty read! I giggled ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that looks familiar!
    trends come back...you never know in a couple of years! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that I kind of want the tartan jacket? I'm looking on the bright side and thinking how Vivienne Westwood.... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachael

    I know what you mean, and believe it or not this little number still has a special place in my heart. Hence why I haven't gotten rid of it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca

    I'm hoping I'll be able to wear it next spring! We shall see... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Anonymous - all feedback is appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if i was a circus ringmaster with a ponchant for tartan then this would be right up my street

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a faux fur jacket that I bought years ago. I absolutely loved it and wore it all the time!Conveniently the trend is back but I am not sure I have the guts to wear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah - you should do it. You shouldn't be afraid to wear something you adore :-)

    ReplyDelete